7.27.2011

A little exercise for young theologians

Confession time:  the awful, ugly temptation of pride that comes with knowledge has popped in and out of my life during my time at seminary.  Not only has the thought crossed my mind that taking classes at Trinity would somehow makes me "wiser" than others (ummmm.. this is so completely far from the truth), I also have felt at times more spiritual than other Christians.  Reading that last sentence is seriously painful.  I am thankful that God has convicted me every time this thought creeps in, but it saddens me that the thought even appears in the first place.

Not only have I struggled with the above, but I also have been quick to judge the motives of some of my colleagues.  At times I look around my classes and think "why are we all sitting around arguing over things that the God of the universe can only understand when there are people out there who desperately need to hear about Jesus- the message of the gospel?"

First of all, yes, this is a valid thought IF that is all you do - argue and stubbornly try to prove your point and not live out your faith.  But, I'm pretty sure that most, if not every single one, of my classmates hope to be apart of ministries that show and share the message of Jesus.  This arguing (otherwise known as discussion to some people :)  is challenging their (and my!) minds to prepare them for life outside of seminary. 

After opening up about this exact struggle to one of my dear friends Caroline, she pointed me toward a book that discusses this exact thing.  Helmut Thielicke wrote "A Little Exercise for Young Theologians" for seminary students, reminding them that their education is a privilege and encouraging to humbly apply their education to the rest of their lives.

One of my favorite quotes is: 
"Faith must mean more to us than a mere commodity stored in the tin cans of reflection or bottled in the lecture notebook, whence at any time it may be reproduced in the brain."  

This quote reminds me that what I'm learning at Trinity should not be put back in a paper, test, or project.  It also shouldn't be stored up in my mind so I can pridefully flaunt to others how much "knowledge" I have (even though at times I think seminary has made me more confused in some areas... but that's another subject for another day).  What I'm learning is supposed to be used to glorify God and increase my love for Him.  I pray that I don't distort the gift of Seminary that God has given me and use it to bring glory to myself.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment