7.26.2011

Decorating Inspirtation

I follow a good number of design blogs... mainly because I'm not creative AT ALL.  Every idea I have used in our apartment has not come from my little brain, it's a stolen idea from someone else.  

Thankfully, because of blogging, there are tons of people displaying their cute, creative ideas for me to snatch up and steal.  Don't worry, my first response if anyone tells me they like anything decorative in my apartment is "I just copied that idea off of someone."  There is no shame in that.  The Lord created us all differently.  Being an interior designer was NOT one of the gifts He gave me.  Surprisingly enough, I'm OK with that. 
via

So, as I was perusing around the blog world the other day, I found a blog post describing an interior designer's style, and I immediately thought "this is totally the kind of style I want in my future home."

Style that's not just fun to look at, but actually invites you in.  It says sit down.  Stay a while.  Get comfortable.  It's not just about pleasing the eye, but it is an experience. I love that. 

I don't know where she lives, but I'm pretty sure if I ever visited her home, I would never, ever leave.

Here's her decorating "rules"
Soft color Heathery grays, blues, golds, and whites--in the Hamptons, these colors come naturally from the landscape and the ocean.
Comfortable seating and ottomans When you want to cuddle up and relax, you always need a place to put up your feet.
A clutter-free zone I am a believer that less is more. Over-accessorizing can take away from the calming nature of a room and become distracting.
Books Whether to read, to escape into, to inspire, or just to look good.
Tunes There should always be a good source of music to set the mood and create relaxation.
Throws I'm a big believer in having a throw in every room to wrap yourself in--preferably while enjoying that good cup of coffee or tea.
A view Orient your space to the best view. If you don't have a view, create one with original art or photography of the things you love.
Light and candles Always maximize natural light. Ambient light can also effectively create a mood, if done with thought. And don't forget the candles.
Flowing fabrics I love flowing panels. When the windows are open, the breeze creates a rippling that is not unlike the water.
Creative space Create a space for whatever your pleasure is, a place that's totally dedicated to your creative outlet

0 comments:

Post a Comment