9.19.2011

Sizzling Hot Birthday Celebrations

Although our weekend started off with lots of sitting in class, we planned a birthday celebration with our friends like last year on Saturday night.  We decided, because it's October, to head to a restaurant in hopes that we could sit outside and enjoy the Octoberfest activities in downtown Palatine. But, we sat down for about 30 seconds outside and realized that wasn't happening (too cold) so we headed inside.  

The decision that we learned later, changed the course of our evening. 

Our waiter was a little quirky, but didn't think too much of it.  He had a slight freak out moment when I took a sip of Becca's beer but didn't order one myself, immediately telling me he hadn't seen my ID and I shouldn't be drinking that.  When I told him he could ID me he said "No it's ok, I just want you to think about that."  I thought that was a little odd... so I gave him my ID anyway, just to calm his worried mind. 

Next, our food was late.  Really late.  After no refills and close to 45 minutes of waiting, our food came out, and it appeared that it was sitting out for a while.  Mine wasn't too bad, but Dan and Andy's pasta was not even warm, it was cold.  So, we sent it back and the manager came out and said they could have a free beer on the house.  That was nice of them. 

Then, their pasta came out- and it was HOT.  Not just temperature wise, but they had to stop eating it because it was so spicy.  We were wondering if the cooks misunderstood our waiter when he told them we needed it "hotter," because Dan was eating his cold pasta before they brought out his new one and it definitely was not that spicy!  (And trust me, Dan is used to spicy with my cooking as I pour Sirachi sauce on just about everything :)

Lastly, after all of this, I decided to "slip away and go to the bathroom" to double check with our waiter that he knew we were celebrating 3 birthdays tonight. (I mentioned it when we made the reservations.)  He assured me not to worry and that he had "everything covered."  I started to think the night was recoverable. 

A couple minutes later, our waiter comes out... holding a candle in his hand... singing happy birthday... and places it in the coleslaw that Brian didn't eat.  He said he didn't know what else to do because we didn't order dessert, and proceeded to hand out three "birthday cards" that I assume the hostess wrote.  Not that that wasn't a nice gesture, but me (and the others at my table) had different expectations! What happened to the good old fashioned idea of bringing out a candle in ice cream or a cake?

Needless to say, we didn't have the best time, but we made a lot of crazy memories :)  Here are some pictures from our night. 





Dan was crying here because the pasta was so spicy!




We wondered over to Octoberfest!
They had a ton of food!
We were joking with Becca because she thought that the O's were hugs so she told Dan she was giving him "just O's" on his birthday card.  So, when he opened it everyone gave her a hard time saying O's were kisses.  BUT, I did some research and according to some sources on google there are some people who agree with her. Anyway, as we were leaving for the night Dan made sure to tell Becca "Thanks for the kisses." Hilarious. 


The whole Bible is written out on that poster.  You have to use magnifying glass to even read it!
Then I got to babysit for this adorable girl on Sunday.  Seriously, cutest girl ever.  If you don't want to have kids, you will reconsider after hanging out with her.  (And how funny that in the post I mentioned earlier about our birthday last year- there is a picture of her in it and she looks SO little! They grow up so fast :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment