9.15.2011

Satisfaction in the wrong places

I read The Journals of Jim Elliot in college and was so extremely encouraged by it.  His thoughts and dedicated to God were convicting and inspiring.  Here's one journal entry where I too, sadly, can relate to the desire that Jim feels.

April 5th, 1949:

Hosea 13:6 "According to their pasture, so they were filled." Israel's satisfaction depended upon and varied with her environment.  was it the "land of great drought?"  They complained and were hungry.  Was it the "flowing land, " then they found fullness and looked not to the hand of God.  Heart of mine, when wilt thou learn this lesson, not to be dependent upon thy context for joy, but upon this One who says of all His own, "I will heal... I will love them freely."

From The Journals of Jim Elliot

1 comments:

  1. Man! I LOVED that book! The way Jim writes always cuts me to the core. I just finished re-reading Shadow of the Almighty and again, it was such an encouragement. I needed to be reminded of this today as well.

    Have a great day girl!

    ReplyDelete