8.17.2011

A Husband's Advice

I once heard advice from a pastor where he recommended couples to keep a journal devoted to writing things about their spouse.  Not just prayers for your spouse, but notes about their spouse.  Things they say- their dreams, what excites them, those small comments that they say in passing, that are hard to remember but so important.

I am sad to say that I actually bought a journal, and wrote a couple things in it, but unfortunately I didn't keep up with it.  Some things work for me, and some don't.  Trying to keep track of my prayer journal is difficult enough, so I don't know why I thought a second journal would stick.

But, that doesn't negate the fact that I want to learn more about Dan- what makes him tick, what makes him feel respected and loved, and what he's passionate about.

In the book Radical Womanhood, McCulley has an excerpt where a husband encourages wives with the following advice:

"You will have to fight the natural human tendency to obsess over your husband's weakness.  When I urge you to affirm your husband's strengths, I'm not minimizing this many weaknesses.  I'm just encouraging you to make the daily spiritual choice of focusing on qualities for which you feel thankful.  The time will come when you can address the weakness- after you've established a firm foundation of love and encouragement. For now, you must make a conscious choice to give thanks for his strengths. 

Guys rise to praise.  When someone compliments us, we want to keep that person's positive opinion intact. We love how it feels when our wives respect us; we get a rush like nothing else when we hear her praise or see that look of awe in her eyes- and we will all but travel to the ends of the earth to keep it coming." Pg 89

Dan apparently isn't the only guy who has "Words of Affirmation" as one of his top love languages :)  Although men think women are hard to understand... I'm thankful for some insight into the mind of a guy sometimes.  

Because this is a post about husbands, and mine is a stud,  I decided to put a picture of Dan.  Happy Wednesday :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey girly! I've LOVED reading your blog. And I love this post. This one was especially needed today. I am excited to go home and share some stored up affirmation for my hubs. I havent done that enough lately :)
    Soooo....I am tentatively thinking I want a chicago trip in the next couple of months. I'll let you know if we make it happen :)
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I don't know what I would do if you came to Chicago!!!! Please let me know if that happens! I actually will be in Cinci for a wedding in October... if you are available I would LOVE to get together. Miss you tons! Thanks for the comment and the encouragement! Love you!

    ReplyDelete