2.15.2012

Let's talk about Money

So, it's been a while since I've updated you on something that I have talked about a lot on this blog.  Since we moved out to here to Chicago in the summer of 2008, one of our main goals has been to pay off our undergrad loans.  Every couple months, we would put the money we saved toward our loans and bit by bit paid off our smallest 2 ones.  Then, in the summer of 2010, we ran into a small dilemma.  My position at Trinity changed from Admissions Counselor to Event Coordinator meaning the company car I had needed to be returned.  That same summer, Dan's car was quickly breaking down on us, leaving us with one option.  We had to buy two cars.  


Needless to say, there were tears involved in that decision.  I'm not too emotional, but when I realized our plans to pay off our debt in 2 years was not going to happen, I was crushed.  Since we had been putting all of our extra money toward our undergrad loans, we had to take out two more loans to buy our cars, increasing our debt.  I thought the end was never in sight.  


But, this past December, after a generous gift from Dan's parents, we were able to officially pay off the last bit of our one car loan.  So, after three and a half years and $80,000 later, we are officially debt free. :)


It is an incredible feeling to have it all paid off!  But, at the same time, I have struggled with what to do next.  Save up an emergency fund... then save for a down payment on a home?  What about our baby?  Should we start saving for their education?  How quickly I can move from being satisfied and content, to being worried and concerned about the next steps in our budget. 


While these thoughts are not bad and most likely smart, I can't help but wonder if I will ever be content.  Am I always going to be striving for more money to meet another goal?  I sure hope not. I read from Piper recently:


"Godliness with contentment is great gain.  If your godliness has freed you from the desire to be rich and has helped you be content with what you have, then your godliness is tremendously profitable (1 Timothy 4:8). Godliness that overcomes the craving for material wealth produces great spiritual wealth."


This is my prayer recently.  That I would be content and thankful, not craving for more.  And right now, I am SO thankful that our debt is done.  It's really freeing, and I'm working on trying to rest in that :)

3 comments:

  1. congrats you guys! that's so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!! Congratulations! Colin and I are so passionate about being debt-free. We're so stinkin' proud of y'all- we know the sacrifices it takes. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Congrats on being debt free!! I can totally relate to all that you shared... it's awesome and freeing to be out of debt but also it invites temptation to hoard or spend or think WAY too much about money and what to do with it! Praying along with you for contentment and faith.

    ReplyDelete