12.24.2011

Christmas Decorating

Something that I have wrestled with throughout my Christian walk is how to handle desires to do things that seem trivial- such as make up, hair, decorating, etc.  I think a reason why I struggle with this is because our world has taken these God given desires and blown them way out of proportion.  

We spend thousands of dollars decorating our homes, and that passion easily has become an idol.  Everything has to be perfect at all times.  We have to get a new dresser.  I need a new T.V.  We have magazines that are dedicated solely to decorating our homes and showcasing how beautiful they are and because of this, our simple desires to create a haven for your family becomes a necessity or even worse, a competition.  This can just as easily happen with fashion, fitness, make up, hair, etc.  Our world has taken the desires that we were given, which were never meant to become obsessions, and made them the main focus, not God who gave us those desires.

This past week I stumbled upon this quote regarding decorating, in particular for Christmas, and I felt it really summed up the issue at hand well.  Keeping Christ the main focus, as with anything we do, is what will keep these desires in check as we live in a world that tells us otherwise.  It affirmed the desires that I have, but it also pointed me to Creator of those desires, and Who we need to glorify in the process. 

I'm not sure if you've ever had these thoughts, but if you had I hope this encourages you :)

Edith Shaeffer says in the Art of Homemaking:

“If you have been afraid that your love of beautiful flowers and the flickering flame of the candle is somehow less spiritual than living in starkness and ugliness, remember that He who created you to be creative gave you the things with which to make beauty and gave you the sensitivity to appreciate and respond to his creation. Creativity is his gift to you and the ‘raw materials’ to be put together in various ways are His gift to you as well.”

I love that we can reflect the image of our Creator when we create.




1 comments: