6.02.2011

On being spontaneous

I am a planner to the core.  I love lists, I love control, I love to know the future.  (Dan really does a tremendous job balancing me out :)  I'm not a "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda girl.

With that being said, today I did something so out of character for me.

It all started out with the following convo I had with my brother this morning via text:

Jon: What are you doing this weekend?
Me: We have some plans with friends, why? (thinking he wanted us to visit or he was going to be in town)
Jon: Krista's in labor and Holly's parents had plans to go to Tennessee to this Michael W. Smith concert weekend but now they can't go.  Do you want to go? I know it's last minute.  No pressure.
Me: (literally start writing back- "No, that's too last minute and probably won't work out. But that's sweet of them to think of us!) But something in me deleted it and said instead "Let me check with Dan."

What was I thinking?  There is no way we are going to TN tomorrow.  You don't just plan a trip in less than 24 hours.  These things require weeks of planning.  This was not on my radar.  This is too last minute.  I'm stressed.

Yet, there was this other voice saying a simple .. why not?  When are we going to have this opportunity again?  My mind rushed with the possibility of us doing this.  Is this actually something we should do?! 

**Note: At this point I know what most of you are thinking: she's crazy.  This is not that big of a deal.  Please re-read the first paragraph, and try putting yourselves in my shoes.  Trust me, this is definitely a big deal.

The next couple hours I got the details and rearranged some plans and well... let's just say my spontaneity won that battle.  We are officially spending the weekend in Nashville.  We're excited to get away, thankful to take this all expense paid trip, and blessed that Holly's parents thought of us to give their tickets to- out of all the people they know.

We're so young and living on the edge.  Watch out Nashville.  What will we do next?
 

PS check out this EASY way to make a chunky necklace out of pearls.  My friend is so creative :)

1 comments:

  1. I had to comment on this--Good for you! Have a wonderful time! I am a planner at heart too but right before I found out I was pregnant we did a few impromptu trips and now that we have Libby (which I wouldn't change for the world), I am so glad we did that spontaneous stuff while we still had the chance. I bet you find this trip to be way more rewarding than any planned trip ever :)

    ReplyDelete