6.27.2011

Mondays and more on "Think"

Hello Monday!  Yep this morning was definitely one of those Monday's- waking up late, feeling exhausted, and running out the door.  [We didn't even stay up that late!] I guess I've been spoiled with getting 9 hours of sleep a night this past weekend.  7 hours didn't feel like I had quite enough rest. 

Anyway, we had another relaxing weekend.  Oh the joys of summer.  While part of the weekend was spent preparing for our summer class, somehow reading by the pool or outside sitting on a blanket while Dan played softball [church league style] makes it much more manageable :)  I'll probably get around to posting pictures tomorrow.

In the meantime, I finished the book "Think" by John Piper.  What I loved most about this book is that it reiterated the importance for me to think carefully about what I read and what I believe.  It is so extremely easy for me to get in the habit of just absorbing large amounts of info in seminary without really thinking or processing what I'm reading and how it can apply to my life.

Piper states right in the text that the aim of the book is to: encourage serious, faithful, humble, thinking that leads to the true knowledge of God, which leads to loving him, which overflows in loving others.

One of the key verses for the book was 2 Timothy 2:7 "Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."

I feel like these quotes will give you a good insight into the book- at least these were some of my favorites :)

"Loving God with the mind means that our thinking is wholly engaged to do all it can to awaken and express the heartfelt fullness of treasuring God above all things."

"There is no part of us that should be uninvolved in treasuring God above all things."

"His glory- His beauty- compels your admiration and delight."

"Every joy that does not have God as its central gladness is a hollow joy and in the end will burst like a bubble."

"People embrace relativism because its physically and emotionally gratifying.  It provides the covering they need at moments in their lives to do what they want without intrusion from absolutes." (he had a couple chapters on relativism- definitely shed a new light on that line of thinking for me)

"Make God's supreme beauty and worth the driving force of all your thinking.  And make it the centerpiece of everything you create." (sound familiar?)

"Our worth consists of our capacity to consciously make much of His worth."

0 comments:

Post a Comment