6.23.2011

Dan's home! [and some recipes]

Oh my goodness. Of course yesterday, the night when Dan was supposed to come home, we had to deal with tornado warnings.  I already knew when I was leaving work that his flight was delayed from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m., but I had Bible study so I was going to be late picking him up anyway.  Then, during Bible study he texted me saying he was going to be getting in at midnight.  Midnight?! Ugh.  I can barely stay up that late on the weekend.  But, I knew it would be worth it, so I prepared for a long night ahead.  Then, as I'm talking to him on the phone and he's sitting on the plane at 10:38 p.m., the nice man on the intercom said the flight had been canceled due to bad weather-- oh and did I mention that was the last flight to Chicago for the night?  (I heard people legitimately screaming on the other end of the phone.  I guess people get cranky when they've been in an airport for 7 hours.  Bless the hearts of the people who work there)  Obviously, this was a smart decision with all the storms, but I was SO sad.  And oh, it gets better.

Since the cancellation was weather related United wasn't paying for a hotel, but his friend Josh lives in GA and was at a midnight movie, so he would be out in an hour.  The plan was for Dan to call Josh and have him pick him up and then drive him back to the airport to get on his 6:30 a.m. flight the next morning.  Perfect.  I talked to Dan until around 12:45 a.m. and that's when we realize Josh's phone is still turned off and he probably isn't going to call Dan back.  It would be dumb at this point to pay for a hotel for basically 4 hours, so Dan slept in the airport!  Poor thing.  I felt awful.  Now, I know there are a lot worse things that could happen to him, but I felt so bad that I was in this warm bed, where he was supposed to be, and he was on a hard floor, in an overly air conditioned airport terminal.

Tired husband
Anyway, I picked him up at 7 a.m. in Chicago, and I'm so thankful he requested the 6:30 a.m. flight because as he was leaving, he saw the next flight to Chicago, scheduled to leave at 8:30 a.m., was delayed until 11:45 a.m.  So, I guess it could have been worse, right?

I love airport stories.  Everyone always seems to have one ready, and this one will definitely go down as one of the more memorable ones.  Anyway, I'm glad Dan's back.  I was starting to get lonely : /

Now, onto even more exciting things!  I have SO many recipes I want to try I can't even share them all now, but I'll show you a couple.  I've got them all stashed away so hopefully this next month I will be trying them out!
Deep Dish cookies.  This is a must try recipe.
I love Avocados & feta.  Dan definitely wouldn't touch this with a stick.  But maybe I'll treat myself one day :)  via
Yep this is definitely another recipe Dan would hate.  But for me- Artichokes and Olives? Yes please. via
Definitely more to come later!

0 comments:

Post a Comment