4.15.2011

Rejoicing

Today on my lunch break I re-listened to Matt Chandler's talk during TGC this past week.  I think his talk hit me for a couple reasons.  First, he focused on the sovereignty of Jesus Christ. He's a pretty young guy and to be recognized amongst the "Christian world" as he has could be a great source of pride for most people- but I sensed none of that from him.  After being diagnosed with brain cancer a couple years ago, he has first hand experience in the reality of how quickly this life can be taken from us.  In fact, in his talk he mentioned how some of us will not be at this conference in 2 years and already last night, the night of the last day of the conference, a youth pastor who attended TGC was killed in a house fire.  So sad and sudden, yet something that could happen to any of us. 

That's why he emphasized rejoicing in Christ and what He's done for us on the cross- something that cannot be taken away, everything else that we rejoice in- kids, home, cars- can be.  One of his great one liners was "remembering rightly redeems our rejoicing."  Remember rightly what Christ has done is what should cause me to rejoice. 

He also talked about how we tend to think that we're awesome.  Let's face it- we all think we're awesome at times- especially when an event goes well or we get a raise or our ministry starts to increase in size.  When we start to praise ourselves Chandler discussed how we need to be corrected- and I love how he paraphrases what God could say to us: "I'm not (giving you that raise, increasing the size of your ministry, insert whatever you want here) because you're awesome.  I'm doing this because I'm awesome.  In fact, let me show you how awesome I am- I'm going to use you to accomplish my purposes.  I'm going to let you play a role in what I'm doing in this world."  That pretty much sums it up.  This is all about God and has nothing to do with me- I am ever so fortunate to play a part in His amazing plan here on earth.  I'm just excited to be along for the ride. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment