4.22.2011

Good Friday

"That God took sin and its effects on Himself is a unique contribution by Christian doctrine to the solution of the problem of evil.  It is remarkable that, while knowing that He Himself would become the major victim of the evil resulting from sin, God allowed sin to occur anyway."
-"Christian Theology"- Erickson

I love going to a church that makes a big deal about Good Friday- and when I say big deal, I totally mean it.  Understanding the full extent of Good Friday allows me to rejoice more on Easter- knowing how amazing it is that Jesus rose again despite what happened to Him today- Friday.  

The above quote is from a theology book I read for class.  So many times people ask why did God allow sin to enter the world?  I certainly can't answer that question and God never gives us His opinions on the matter.  But, what we do know is that He allowed it, knowing that Good Friday would come and Jesus would be the victim of the sin that entered this world. 

".. yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.  But, he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed." - Isaiah 53

2 comments:

  1. I also could never answer the question about why God would allow sin to enter the world. It is one of those mysteries that the human mind just can't solve or begin to understand. However, when I've pondered that question, I've thought about how much of God's character has been revealed to us because He allowed sin to enter the world...His grace, mercy, justice, forgiveness, healing, victory...just to name a few. And I'm so thankful that, in the midst of the ugliness of sin, His beauty still shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree! Thanks for sharing the specific characteristics of God that can be seen through Him allowing sin to enter the world!

    ReplyDelete