10.14.2014

A New Perspective

One of the things I have loved about my photography class is how it starts with the very basics.  It didn't start with understanding your camera and how it works or how to take a specific type of photo, our task for the first week was to simply start to develop an eye for photography.  And to do that, I needed to slow down and take notice of the small details or as our teacher put it, "we need to sift through the mundane to find the beautiful."  She literally said we need to use different eyes to see the world around us and it can also make us more aware of the blessings around us.  

This week she had a quote that started the class with:

 "Photography is an art of observation.  It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place and it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with how you see them." 

It has been fun for me to find little things to take pictures of that document our every day.  Not only does it give me some practice in shooting manual since I'm constantly adjusting my settings to adapt to the lighting, but it forces me to get creative and see our every day in a different light.  

And honestly, taking pictures help me cherish each moment more.  I keep looking at the pictures I'm taking and thinking how BIG Jake looks.  When I compare pictures from last year I keep thinking where the time went and when was it that he lost all that blonde hair and how in the world do 3T shirts fit him better than 2T right now?!  It's seriously true that the days can feel long but the years are so so short.  

So I'm loving documenting the "mundane"- where our trips to the park and snuggling on the couch at 6am doing puzzles can be special moments I can capture on my camera. 


See what I mean?  He totally looks like a real soccer player here (minus the khaki pants :) )




I swear our roses look better now than they did all summer and I haven't watered anything in our yard in over a month.





0 comments:

Post a Comment