1.03.2014

{18 m o n t h s} Our growing little man

I had full intentions of posting this when Jake actually was 18 months, however I'm only technically a week late so that is all right, right?  The pictures are from when he actually was 18 months :)

I kind of miss my little monthly updates.  I was reading through Jake's 4 month update and couldn't believe how much he has changed and had a little moment with myself while Jake was napping.  And I did have to laugh because I do remember how at the time, Jake rolling onto his stomach in the middle of the night and waking up every 2 hours was traumatic, however now it seems like that was such a distant memory.  Jake woke up at 6 this morning and I felt exhausted (he normally sleeps until around 7 now).  I clearly don't remember how rough it was 14 months ago.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've said this a thousand times on this blog, but I love every. single. stage.  And I'm so excited what's to come.  I love watching his face light up when he stacks his blocks really high.  I love watching him run out of the kitchen and into the family room when the Thomas the Train song comes on.  He's got such a personality and I love it.  And while I can't wait to see what's to come I also want him to stay here forever.  Where he is still somewhat my baby and also a little boy.  He still has his chubby cheeks and his {somewhat} chubby little hands.  He still wants to be held when he hits his head or trips over the carpet. He still likes us to sing him to sleep while we rock him before bed.

Yet now he's such a little helper.  He wants to help me move the laundry into the dryer, and pretends his mower is a vacuum when I'm vacuuming and if I move a chair to vacuum under it he is right there ready to "vacuum" that exact spot as well, and he wants to have a paper towel to wipe the floors while I'm wiping the counters and close the refrigerator when I'm done getting his milk out and help hang up Dad's shirts in the closet when I'm done ironing... seriously the list goes on and on.  While it doesn't necessarily make the daily chores go any faster, it makes them more fun as I watch him get so much enjoyment out of what would be mundane tasks.

I just love our little man.  Here are some other things I will remember about this stage:

  • About a month ago Dan was playing cars with Jake and made the "beep beep" noise when the trucks were backing up.  Now anytime I ask Jake to back up he says "beep beep" as he backs up :)
  • He is VERY into coloring now- especially since he got his little table from grandma and grandpa at Christmas!
  • When he wants us to go anywhere, he grabs our hand and pulls us to follow him.  And don't be deceived.. he's got a strong grip!
  • He claps anytime a song ends - even commercials. 
  • He recently has been lifting the toilet seat up and proceeding to lift his shirt up as he "pretends" to go to the bathroom.  
  • Favorite T.V. shows: Thomas the Train, Blues Clues, and Curious George. 
  • Favorite books: Jesus Loves me, Off we go to Mexico, Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Cat & the Hat
  • Favorite toys: Grill (or kitchen set at the library), M&M bag, Table and Chairs, Little Tikes car, anything Thomas related
  • He says "yeah" right now and it's so. stinkin. cute.  I think we have it on video and I will post it soon!
  • Whenever he wants to read a book again he just flips it to the beginning and says "yeah." 
  • He recently has been taking the chocolate syrup (for chocolate milk) out of the fridge and saying "mmmm" and handing it to me as if to say "I'm not asking for this mom, I'm telling you I want it." 
  • He's a little bit of a picky eater but we're working on it.  I'm slowly adding new foods and unfortunately we are at the point where if he doesn't eat the options we give him he doesn't eat.  I don't love being hard on him but I also want him to eat more than just chicken nuggets and the occasional piece of corn for dinner :)
  • He still LOVES his little lamb lovey.  Don't tell him this is the fourth one we've bought for him :)
  • He loves handing us our drinks if we have them sitting on the coffee table.  He is trying to be "helpful" but it's terrifying when it's hot coffee....
  • Anytime Jake sees a candle he starts blowing and saying "hot, hot."
  • The other day he pointed at a picture of something in a book and said plain as day "red." And it actually was red.  It blows my mind how fast he's learning!  He can almost point out all the basic colors!
  • There is a matching/ memory "fish" game (you know the one where you flip the cards up 2 at a time and try to find the ones that match) on our ipad and the other day when I was on the treadmill I looked down and he had completely cleared one of the boards- he matched about 10 different fish all by himself from memory.  I think I am greatly underestimated how much Jake can do right now lol
  • And lastly Jake is ALL about Dan right now.  I really don't take it personally, but seriously when Dan is home he doesn't want anything to do with me.  When we were reading the other night Dan and I were both holding a page of his book and Jake starting shoving my hand off and handing it back to Dan as if to say, "I don't want mom to hold this book- only you." All day long he walks around our house pointing out what is Dan's- if he sees his coat he says "dadda," his shoes he says "dadda." When I hang up from a phone call he always thinks I'm on the phone with Dan so he says "dadda."  The other day we were at the post office and the worker took a phone call when she was checking us out and when she was done Jake yelled "dadda." I love that he loves his dad so much :)  Some day he will realize all I do for him.... 
  • And last but not least he prays with us :)  I love how at dinner if Dan's praying I'll sneak a look at him and he has his hands folded and his little head is looking down.  And of course, we always pray for Dad and as soon as I tell Jake we're going to pray before bed he yells, "dadda."  :)  
So that was long.  I'm already turning into one of those mom's who talks way too much about her kids- and I only have one :)  I just want to remember every little thing.  Here are some of our "snow" pictures that I took a couple weeks ago!








I took some pictures for a friend of their daughter for their Christmas cards so after they headed out I threw Jake up there to take a couple shots- even though he was wearing his snow stuff and not the cute dress his friend was wearing :)



Jake heard a police siren.  He LOVES sirens and always makes the following faces when he hears them inside or outside our home :)





2 comments:

  1. Awww Jake is getting so big! You can talk about him as much as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. miss that guy! love the update!

    ReplyDelete