1.21.2014

Open Hands

Ever since college I have heard the phrase, "live your life with open hands."  I vividly remember our campus pastor standing up on the stage with his hands open, describing how he wants to have open hands in regards to how he views his wife and kids- remembering they are not his, but God's.  It was so profound to me and made total sense, however now that I'm trying to live it out, I've realized how truly difficult it can be.  5 years out of college (what?!) living with "open hands" becomes harder and harder to actually do.  I open my hands to the Lord but close them the second that it seems what He's handing me isn't what I wanted them to be filled with.  From big life changes to small everyday moments with Jake, I want to hold onto every part of my schedule.

A couple weeks ago I was reminded of the verse in Ruth 2:20 as God is described as the one "who has not stop showing his kindness."  This is the God that I am entrusting my life to.  He wants to use our lives for something great.  He desires to give GOOD gifts to His children.  (Matt 7:11)  How quickly I can forget these awesome attributes about God, and it's when I forget who He truly is, I close my hands again.
 
I read this quote in a blog written by one of my friend's below:

To choose life is to turn toward God with all your heart and soul, to open yourself to new joys as well as additional sorrows.  It is to choose to live fully for God in recognition that there is no real life apart from Him and that anything else is merely existing.

Every day I desire to choose life.  To choose to trust God and who He is despite how my day turns out.  Despite my emotions.  Despite if Jake is in a good mood or not.  Despite the weather.  And this isn't easy.  I've been thankful that this song has been stuck in my head:  "Lord I need you" because every time I sing it, it's a reminder that I can't live this life on my own.  I need Him. every. single. minute.

Here are some other good reads that have inspired me recently:

Really though, who doesn't have a Margie in their life?

This video. I need to watch this anytime I get discouraged being a mom.

Reading this makes me want to go out and buy his book right this second.

Dan and I are really trying to keep this habit going We're not perfect at it, but we're trying.

Happy Tuesday, friends :)

3 comments:

  1. Ahem. Confession? You're my Margie. But realizing (remembering?) that you also have Margie's makes me realize that I might also be someone's Margie. It's humbling and scary all at the same time.

    Gosh I wish we were closer! I want so badly to sit down with coffee and preoccupy our kids and talk about the things God is teaching us. I think we've both grown a lot since we last saw each other (at least, I hope we have) and it's hard to get that across through blogs and emails and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't funny how when we read that we think of all of our "Margie's" but never consider that God could be using us in someone else's life? The thought seriously never occurred to me. I am humbled that God would use me in such a way in your life. (and you are right- a little bit scary ha :)

      Coffee and conversation about life sounds SO amazing. I agree that blogs are fun to keep in touch, but we have both been through so much since our study and I think we would have so much in common / so much to learn from each other. And, I recently have been going "crunchy" as Dan likes to say... basically I'm looking into some "cleaner" eating and immediately thought of you.... may need some tips here :)

      Delete
    2. Yay for cleaner eating! I get all geeked out when I hear someone say they want to try to eat cleaner! Anything you need to know, go right ahead and ask (I obviously don't know a ton but I know good resources, at the very least). We kind of got away from it over the holidays/birthday month (Katy's, Mike's sister and dad, my niece ... January is very busy!) but we definitely feel it and need to get back.

      If you come back into town, we should try to get together (I say try because, my gosh woman! I see what you try to fit into each visit - I don't know how you do it!). It would be great to catch up!

      Delete