3.11.2011

Our first project!!

Who starts a project and doesn't take a before picture?! Well, me apparently. Half way through refinishing our buffet table and china cabinet I realized that I didn't take a picture! I was just so excited when we got home to get started I totally forgot. So, I started rummaging through my pictures to see if there was at least a glimpse of it in the background of a picture!! Annnnd I found some.  The first one is pretty bad.  If you look carefully  you can see the china cabinet in the background with the glass doors and our dishes in it.
haha can you see it?!
Then, I took the picture below at Christmas. Unfortunately you can't see the knobs that are on the doors (there wasn't any hardware on the drawers) but you can get a feel for what it looked like!

Before...

Then we got to work! Becca came over and helped us out which was SO nice of her! How excited (especially Dan) do they look!?

These were the original knobs..

I love that you can see me in it! lol

Annnnnd After!!!  We took the glass out, put new hardware on it, stained it darker, then I went to work doing a little distressing!  We have so many books this is going to be very useful :)



 What's crazy about this is that we actually started out hoping it would be closer to black than brown.  When we started to realize that it wasn't going to be the color we hoped, I took back the silver knobs and got "aged bronze" and did a little distressing and really like it- I think even better than if it was black and more "modern" looking.

The sun was really bright today!
I kind of enjoyed distressing- I didn't bang anything against it like some people have, but I used sand paper and steel wool and it gave it the look we wanted!
So there you have it- our first furniture make over!  It definitely was hard work, and there are still some table and chairs in the set, but we decided to hold off on that- and I'm SO glad we did.  There would have been no way we would have finished all the pieces in a weekend.

Well, our flight for Florida is TONIGHT!! So that means I need to finish packing :)  Have a wonderful weekend and we'll be back in a couple weeks!

1 comments: