3.08.2011

Enjoying the Journey

So can I just start off by saying that Dan is so extremely patient with me?  Last week when we were discussing the move, we realized we wouldn't be able to fit the dining room set that my parents gave us (without rearranging them) in our new apt.  So, I had the fabulous idea of staining them and adding new hardware to transform one into a bookshelf and another into a stand for our TV.  Note: I have NEVER painted or done anything like this before in my life. 

After a quick call to my parents, we were on our way to Lowe's to get the supplies needed.  Let's just say this probably would not have been Dan's first choice of how he wanted to spend his weekend (and Monday night and most likely tonight for that matter), but he did it for me.  He is just so sweet :)  BUT, we're not quite done yet- we ran into some issues last night and need to borrow a smaller drill.  Hopefully it will be done soon and I can show you what we did!!  I'm SO excited!

On another note, all this moving stuff has got me thinking about these past (almost) 3 years or our marriage.  It definitely hasn't been what we thought it would be.  Chicago for us was a short stop on the way to the rest of our life.  I'm pretty sure I always viewed it that way until this past summer, when after having to purchase 2 cars, our goal of heading into ministry was pushed back a couple years.  I realized I've been so focused on the destination that I haven't been very good at "celebrating the journey."  Here are some "destinations" that I have found myself focused on:
  • When we are in full time ministry then God will really start to use us.
  • When I graduate from TEDS then I'll be prepared to disciple, lead, and encourage other women.
  • When we own a home then I can be more hospitable because we will have more space. And to be perfectly honest- I do think that having a home will magically make me a happier person :)
  • When we are finished paying off our college loans then we will really experience freedom in our finances.
  • When we have kids then I will really feel a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
In reality, my "when's" may never happen and if I'm so focused on my destination, I'll never learn from my experiences getting there.  I'll always be wanting more.  I'll never be satisfied.  I'll waste my whole life dreaming of the day when things will be different and never learn to be content in where God has me.

So, right now I am slowly learning to see the steps getting to ministry and the steps to paying off our debt as just as important as having the debt paid off or being in ministry.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments:

  1. Steph! (A) I love reading your blog (B) I can't wait to see this table re-do! and (C) I am so impressed by you listing our your "destinations" like that- really convicting and awesome to see you working through those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly where I'm at right now. A few points in Your list of "destinations" hit spot on with where I'm at. Learning to be content at THIS stage of life has been a struggle. And I'm realizing that even NOW, THIS current stage of life is just as important as the next. What we are doing NOW, is paving the way for the next phase. Ohhh contentment. Tripping over my struggle with discontentment daily yet being reminded constantly to be thankful and content with what's going on NOW.

    ReplyDelete