7.21.2016

Teeth, Trips, and Musings on Motherhood

I'm trying to remember the little things these days.  New teeth popping through.  Sitting up.  Riding in the car cart at the grocery store.  Again, that's just another reason why I love photography- because it seems that for a moment I can capture it all and never forget. I think I'm finally starting to get what every grandmother tells me everywhere I go with my kids: enjoy it because it goes so fast.  I think it's because Jake is older but I've realized it does go by so fast.  Too fast.  And while I want to soak it all up I'd be lying if I said there were moments that I really wanted to fly by- sleepless nights, feeding and nursing what seems like 6 times a day, walking a toddler through temper tantrums, discipline, watching your child's feelings get hurt at the playground, not being able to squeeze in much time for myself.  It's so hard to balance the tension of hard and good all at once.  Yet such is the rest of life really- it's just not so right in front of your face like it is when you're raising a kiddo under one.  

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts on "God Centered Mom" and something stuck with me that a mom said- she said that she really wants to see her kids.  I know it sounds silly, but a lot of my days can be spent looking past Cole and Jake at the dishes, pee on the bathroom floor, the clock where I seem to be late for that doctors appointment or play date- again.  And sadly I can rush through the sweet moments like bedtime because I know on the other end is some alone time.  The other day I practiced really trying to see my kids.  Really playing baseball with Jake and having fun and not saying "ok we only have 10 minutes."  Instead of wandering how I could multi task dusting while entertaining Cole I just sat on the floor and  played with Cole- giving him my undivided attention.  And my day was so. much. better.  I didn't feel torn.  I didn't feel stressed. Granted, I didn't get as much done- but I felt like what I got done was the most important stuff.  I'm hoping for a lot more of these days to come. 

That's why I'm memorizing Ephesian 5:15-17 where it talks about making the most of the days and doing the will of God.  I want to make sure I am doing what God has called me to do and what is my most important job- even if its not my easiest job at the moment or the job I selfishly want to do. 

 This thing called motherhood- it's quite the learning process.  










































0 comments:

Post a Comment