11.11.2013

Even a children's Bible can have adult lessons

I started this routine during my quiet times where I go through this child training Bible that I put together last year.  Every morning I  read through the verses centered around a particular quality that children tend to struggle with- knowing that at some point I will need this wisdom to impart on Jake.  I laugh now at my naivety as God has shown me that these verses  I'm reading in a "children's" Bible are not just for Jake, but for me.  
 
This past week I have been reading the section titled "impatience."  Patience is a tough character trait for adults to embody let alone a one and a half year old that can barely talk.  I can think of a number of things that cause impatience to set in for me- looking for a church, finding community, growing our family, waiting for Jake to walk up the stairs, waiting for Jake to walk down the stairs, waiting for Dan to come home...  the list goes on and on.  Needless to say, every day I am presented with an opportunity to grow in patience.  Which is why I'm thankful God is teaching me some valuable lessons regarding it right now.  Enjoy my "Message" paraphrasing of the Bible :)
 
Wait patiently for the Lord, and in the meantime don't worry about others who seem to be prospering in the areas that you are waiting for. (Psalm 37:7)
 
Being patient requires humility and realizing there is a bigger plan at work than the one I am envisioning.  Those proud and self reliant rush ahead to try to make things happen in their own strength. (Ecclesiastes 7:8)
 
God created EVERYTHING around us.  NOTHING is too hard for Him. Nothing. (Jeremiah 32:17)
 
God will strengthen us with His power SO THAT we can endure and be patient WITH joy (yes, he allows us to do it with joy).  And while we are waiting in His strength, we can give thanks to God who has given us so much already. (Colossians 1:11) 
 
I hope these verses help you wait well in whatever it is you are waiting for as they have for me :)
 
DSC_8158
DSC_8155
DSC_8162
You can read upside down, right?

6 comments:

  1. Yup. Needed Psalm 37:7. Pretty sure that needs to be framed in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at the CTB site. It looks like an incredible way to teach children God's Word...while at the same time letting it penetrate deeper into our hearts, as well. Also saw that they have the Virtue Training Bible now (http://www.virtuetrainingbible.com/). We're looking into both and may end up deciding to do both. If we do...I'm already preparing myself to be convicted (and encouraged) while putting it all together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you told me about the VTB- I haven't been on the website since the spring when I put the Bible together. Thanks for telling me about it! I was really excited when our Bible study leader told me about it!

      Delete
  3. Would love to know about your bible color coding system. How do you do it?

    Amy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually only coded this Bible according to the topics that it came with (you can see above Selfishness is in red). Actually my husband just bought these special pens that allow you to write in your Bible without showing through so he can start color coding his. The only coding I have done off and on is Kay Arthur's coding - I learned it when I did a Bible study in college! I believe you need to order one of her studies to get the symbols she uses.. there are a lot and I can only remember a handful of them!

      Delete