4.03.2013

Actual New Years Resolution follow ups and obviously.. some pictures :)

So remember approximately 4 months ago when I posted this post about some new ideas I wanted to implement in 2013?  Although I still need to work on a couple of those, one area that I have really been convicted of is my eating.  After Jake was born I was one of those fortunate people who lost the weight fairly quickly because of nursing.  In fact, I realized that I didn't need to run to maintain my weight anymore, and I could actually eat quite a bit without gaining any weight.  Now, talk to any doctor and they will tell you that this is a VERY important time for moms to eat well because you are giving your baby nutrients- not a time to splurge on eating candy and chocolate.  At the beginning I was pretty good at watching what I ate, but in the past couple months I have really started to neglect eating healthy foods.  I literally could go through half a bag of kit kats on my own throughout the day. Easily. Without Dan's help.

What started to bother me was my heart attitude toward food. I discovered that before Jake was born and I had to watch what I ate, I really only ran and counted calories to purely keep my "outward appearance" looking good. I wasn't doing it because my body was a temple and I am called to honor my body with what I eat.  I was simply watching what I ate and exercising because I wanted to maintain a specific weight/ size.  The only time I was really convicted to eat healthy was when my pants were too tight.  I was never convicted that I drank too much diet coke or ate too much processed food.  I simply cared about my outward appearance.

I have also discovered that there are times when I went aimlessly into the cabinet to search for something sweet because I felt like I deserved it.  I would put Jake down for a nap after a particularly fussy/ difficult hour and would go straight for the food, telling myself I deserved this because of all I just had to deal with (right. I am so entitled to that).

So, when I read Jami's post, "I'm over sugar," I found myself in agreement with practically EVERYTHING she said.  That was until the end, when she suggested that I tell someone about this change I wanted to make.  Ugh.  I cringed. I knew if I told Dan about this conviction he would hold me accountable to it (and gladly eat the chocolate I didn't eat :)  I had told Dan before I was eating too much sweets, but I would just joke that when I started gaining weight I would stop. (yep.. see two paragraphs above).  So, obviously when I told Dan he immediately helped me gather up all the sugary items we owned (mainly Easter candy) and put it in a separate location.  Then I told my friend Becca and she said she would do it if I would.  Before I knew it, I found myself giving up sugar.

I definitely still have a ways to go.   I've incorporated more smoothies into my diet and am trying to be aware of how many fruits and vegetables I'm eating.  Fruits are easy for me to eat.. it's the veggies I am trying to work on.  So, as I come up with new ideas I will keep you updated with how I am doing! And I would definitely encourage you to read Jami's post. :)

Annnd totally unrelated to food, here's a couple old pictures from Jake in the snow.  I was really trying to get him to smile and he wasn't really having it.  This little man is not a fan of the snow.  Maybe we should move down south?

DSC_4460
DSC_4456
DSC_4450
DSC_4452
DSC_4469

4 comments:

  1. We gave up sugar, or at least cut it out of diets drastically about 1.5 years ago and I could tell a big difference in how I felt. We've fallen off the wagon since then. But when we started looking at ingredients, we were shocked at how sugar is listed in almost everything, and oftentimes is listed first or second in the ingredient list.

    So it is definitely a challenge to change your diet when cutting out/decreasing sugar. And it takes way more time to grocery shop since you'll be looking at ingredients now. But it's worth it. I too need to jump back on that band wagon. I have been feeling so guilty lately with my food choices, mainly because what I eat, baby girl eats.
    And ironically, eating healthier, takes way more time, energy and money. But it is so necessary.

    Thanks for this, I needed to hear it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you did that!! And I remember thinking you guys were crazy! ha. It definitely is a challenge. I seriously think half of my daily intake was filled with sugar so my body is definitely feeling the lack of it, but I know it will be a good thing in the end!

      Delete
  2. Love this! We haven't given up sugar but we've made a lot of conscious diet changes lately (adding in more fruits/veggies, getting rid of processed food and avoiding GMOs mainly). Cutting out sugar is next on my to do list but m kind of terrified of tackling it. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you guys are making those changes! It's encouraging to hear I'm not the only one being convicted of this! And, I seriously feel like the only way for me to eat for fruits and veggies is to take out the sugar and just replace it. Otherwise I seriously go for the sugar. every. single. time. It's seriously an addiction! I hope that we can keep it up!

      Delete