11.04.2011

I'm a little late...

I know I probably should have posted this on Monday, but I was too anxious to get started with my recipes. 

The main thing I love about my job is all the people I get to meet.  While I was waiting for a professor to pick up a prospective student for lunch, I was talking to a dad and his daughter about their involved in FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and all the neat opportunities they have had to make an impact at their school for Christ.

Then, we obviously started talking about the World Series since game seven was that night.  I mentioned how my husband always talks about Josh Hamilton and his neat testimony and he asked me if I knew about Lance Berkman's story.  I didn't, and when I told Dan that he was a Christian he said he had never heard that, so on our date night at Alt Thai I googled him to see what popped up.

Sure enough, there were tons of articles about him- and let me tell you- he isn't some fluffy Christian who claims he goes to church.  He believes it. And I was SO encouraged.  Especially by this quote:

John 15:5 is my favorite verse. It’s my favorite because a lot of people who will say, “Well, I’m a good person.” There’s a theology out there that says if the good you do outweighs the bad that you do, that means you’re a good person therefore you’re in good standing with God. That verse really hits home for me because anything we do that’s good apart from the power and the name of Jesus Christ, not that it doesn’t count, but from a spiritual standpoint, it’s not edifying. It’s not worth much. The only way that we can truly have a purpose and an enriching life experience is to do all things in Christ and through the power of Christ. What happens when we’re all about doing good works and we’re doing that outside of the power of Christ is that we end up getting the glory and the whole point of this deal is that God gets the glory. That verse beautifully illustrates that point.

I'm always encouraged when I find people in the spotlight who are staying true to the Gospel.  I find it's hard to stick up for Christ in my little bubble, let alone if you had tons of people watching your every move- how you handle a loss, if you're going to blow up at the umpire for a bad call, etc.  Even though every reaction we make is always seen by God, somehow when it's being aired on TV that comes across as a much bigger deal to me... (and that's why I'm working on people pleasing, friends :)

Anyway, the rest of the article is a really good read if you're interested.  Have a great weekend :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment