11.14.2011

Where do I start?

Our weekend was full of so many things! We had our last modular Theology 3 class this Friday and Saturday.  Although it's our last actual class, we still have a lot of books and a final to write- so we're not quite done. But, I am thankful to be done attending the actual class- those classes were definitely long- 3 hours on Friday and 8 hours on Saturday!

Then, we went to church and had some friends over.  Dan and I were really excited to host because since we've been pretty busy, we just haven't had time to have anyone over or make our apartment presentable enough :)  So, it started off with a good appetizer (will share later), then some buffalo dip that Krysten brought, then Becca made the main dish: Italian beef sandwiches!  Everything was going well until I started the dessert.  I found a great recipe for pizza dessert and was pretty pumped to try it.  I put it together, popped it in the oven, and sat down.  When I started to smell something burning I decided to open it just to check... and the pizza toppings were running off the pizza and onto the bottom of the oven. Bummmer.  After that, I was pretty confident in telling everyone we were not going to have any dessert!  I took it out of the oven (I totally should have taken a picture)- and the worst part was that it actually smelled really good!

After that, Dan and I thought it would be a good idea to clean the oven out (with that button that says "Clean Oven.")  After apologizing again to our friends, we sat down and continued the evening.  Well, a little later, when I fortunately was in the bathroom, I heard a loud noise and our friends yelling "the oven is on fire!" I rushed out and see our kitchen filled with smoke.  We didn't see fire, but decided that we shouldn't have hit the clean oven button.  After turning the oven off, Dan opened it up just to check inside, and a TON of smoke came out.  We ended up opening every window, turning all our fans on, and we all ended up on the balcony trying to breathe because our apartment was so filled with so much.  I seriously can't believe the fire department didn't come.  (Oh, and Dan was waving our towels non stop in front of the fire alarm to keep it from going off!)

So, lessons learned from that night:

1. Follow directions with the dessert pizza recipe (I learned you were supposed to put the cream cheese frosting on until AFTER you put it in the oven. My bad)
2. Don't clean your oven with friends over.
3. Google oven cleaning directions before you do that (apparently we shouldn't have kept our pizza stone in there...)
4. Be thankful for gracious friends (they were seriously so patient with us as we were fanning out our apartment and sat in their coats because we had to have the windows open for the rest of the night) So funny.

Anyway, the rest of the weekend I tried to redeem myself by making french toast on Saturday morning for Dan- something I know how to make :)  (Pictures below)  Then we went to the mall and wandered around.  They already have Christmas stuff out- it makes me so excited!!!  Then we went to Pei Wei- our friends gave us their extra free entree coupon!  Overall, it was good weekend.  Crazy, but good.
mmmm french toast
All finished!
I had to take pictures of Dan's plate- he definitely LOADED on the whipped cream I made haha
Starbucks and Christmas.  It doesn't get much better than that. 

1 comments:

  1. stef I am laughing out loud. :) last year when kayla and i were engaged and living at home, we decided to use the "clean oven" feature one night after it was messy (and i don't even remember why) --- but OH MY GOSH we didn't leave a pizza stone in there but if it makes you feel better our oven smelled super-bad, too! and our poor Momma was going through Chemo and was like "girls I'm seriously going to throw up if you don't get the smell out" -- and we were fanning too and it was a MESS. so i totes empathize. haha. :) praise the Lord that bad smells & smoke eventually **DO** clear out--- even though in the moment, you feel like, "wow i've ruined our home forever." :) <3 you. :)

    ReplyDelete