2.18.2011

Sidewalks

This past week I was SO thankful to be able to run on the sidewalks around my neighborhood!!  Well, I would say I ran on them about 45% of the time- there were still some mounds of snow at each street corner and huge puddles that I avoided because of the melting snow, but the fact that the sidewalks weren't covered in ice was so wonderful :) I know, with the warm 40 degree weather we're having you would think that would be on the top of my list, and it definitely is, but I honestly have missed sidewalks. 

This is the first winter I really committed to running a couple times a week and it was definitely an experience.  For the most part I would say I have enjoyed my runs, minus the two times I completely wiped out.  Ok, really only one of them was a total, full frontal, snow covering my whole body wipe out (which was witnessed by a lady walking her dog at 6 am), the kind of fall that is just so good you can only hope someone else saw it happen.  I don't know if it was my shoes but I had WAY more close calls this winter than I ever have before. 

Here are some other things I learned :)
  1. If you are going to run in 20 degree weather or below (esssspecially with Chicago wind) invest in one of these:
I am sure you're already laughing at the thought of me running around in one of these.  And it's ok, I would, too.  But seriously, this kept me SO warm!  Thank you Daniel for breaking our Christmas budget and getting me one of these "I look like I'm going to break into your house face warmers" :)

2. Don't run on the sidewalks.  After my first fall on a slick, un-shoveled sidewalk I learned my lesson.  There is just way too much ice and let's face it- nobody here in Chicago wants to shovel their driveway let alone their sidewalk.  I did commend the few and the proud who had clear sidewalks in front of their home.  For the rest of you - I don't blame you - I probably wouldn't take the extra time to shovel my sidewalk either if I owned a home. 

3. Since you will be running on the road, smile or give the nod when cars have to swerve to avoid you or even better (my favorite moments) when cars have to stop and wait for another car to pass them while they swerve to go around you.  I've only gotten mean glares and honked at twice.

4. Definitely wear something white or light colored (some runners even carried flashlights or had a light strapped to their forehead- I view those runners as extremely dedicated or they probably had a couple close calls with a car).  Since the sun shines for about 3 hours here during Chicago winters, if you work any normal 9-5 hours you are going to be running in the dark.  I had to get used to this real quickly when November hit!

5. I would like to talk to and commend people who can do "long runs" in the winter.  I seriously could barely finish 4 miles sometimes because I would be THAT cold.  I feel like the longer I ran (which meant past 3 miles) the more I would sweat, which would make me even colder.  I definitely cut myself some slack on running the long runs- the only problem is that now I'm a little nervous to do anything over 6 miles if I start training again....

6. I almost never timed myself.  With all the layers of clothes and the times I had to go really slow so I wouldn't slip and fall, it was just depressing afterward to see how long it took.  Although, I knew it was a pretty bad run when I finished and wasn't even breathing hard- at those times I wished I timed myself just to see how slow I actually went or if walking would have been a better work out! Anyway, I would just be encouraged that you got outside to run in the freezing weather :)

7.  Sign up for a race in early May!  We did this last year and it was super helpful for getting me back on a running schedule.  I definitely need to take my advice in this area this year ... we have no races on the horizon yet.  (even though Dan is pressuring me to sign up for the 2011 Chicago Marathon which I am not crazy enough to commit to yet.)

8. I learned that I have to do laundry MUCH more when I'm running in the winter.  When you're wearing five layers per run that makes the laundry basket fill up reeeeaal quickly.  With that being said, I've learned that you can re - wear some of those layers because I don't sweat nearly as much as I do when it's 80 degrees!  Don't judge.

9. I can honestly say that I have never thought to invest in sunglasses while running - until this winter!  Now, this only happened on Saturday or Sunday runs when I could actually run when the sun was out, but when that sun is shining against the bright, white snow, my eyes start watering so much that the tears freeze against my face.  Not fun.

10. Lastly, I have learned that unless it is sunny and above 40 degrees outside, I will not have the desire to run.  Do you ever have one of those moments where you're sitting inside and you think "I just really want to go on a run!"  Well, when it's 20, dark, and snowing, I can honestly say I have yet to have one of those moments.  But, I would say, like training for the marathon, this winter of running has shown me that it is possible to train all year round.  It may not be as fun as running when it's beautiful outside, but it is possible.

I'll keep you updated if I have any other worthy wipe out experiences to share :)

1 comments:

  1. I sincerely wish I could have witnessed the extreme wipe out. The way you describe it and half way show us at work is hilarious. I want to see a picture of you in your gear with the thievery mask and sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete