6.25.2010

The Unit

I love mornings. One of the things I have loved most about house/ cat sitting this week is they have HUGE bay windows and in the morning when Dan and I are reading the sunrise comes through and i just l.o.v.e. it!
It's hard for me not to think about the full day awaiting me: drop off keys to other "house sitter," doctor's appt, rushing to my sneak preview at work (that I'll already be late for), trying to get our luggage bag under 50 lbs before we get to the airport, get to the airport, fly to Ft. Lauderdale, sleeeeep. Seeing as yesterday for us wasn't more restful, it is going to make laying on the beach that much better :)
But for now, in the stillness of this morning, my only agenda is to sit, drink my coffee, and meet with our Lord. As I'm going through Proverbs, chapter 3 talks about the benefits of getting wisdom and understanding, saying
  • Its profit is better than gold, gain better than silver
  • more precious than jewels
  • her paths are peaceful
  • those who have her are called blessed
  • with wisdom you will walk secure, your foot will not stumble
  • the wise will inherit honor
  • nothing can compare with her (wisdom)
Those are some serious promises from the Bible.
Dan and I have been watching "The Unit" while housesitting. They have this sweet t.v. and all these DVDs but for some reason the first night we got hooked on this series and have watched it every night. President Palmer/ the Allstate guy/ I don't remember his real name... whoever he is, he's the head of their unit, and I would say is portrayed as someone who's got a lot of wisdom. I know Biblical wisdom and worldly wisdom are two very different things, but there are many similarities between how they portray "President Palmer's" character and the ideas here in Proverbs 3. He is respected and held in high honor. His team trusts him. The captain trusts him because he knows he is wise and will make the right decisions. As a result, he is given more responsibility. He is humble- not worried about getting the recognition but getting the job done. His team wants to be under his leadership and if given other opportunities choose to stay with him.

I could probably go on and on... we've watched 8 episodes already! But, when I read this and thought about the character of "President Palmer," I could see why Solomon was urging us to seek wisdom and understanding, because nothing you desire can compare with her. If you seek these things, you will be used by God. He sees your heart and your character, and if you desire these things more than this world, He will use you- in your workplace, in your marriage, with your friends, etc. And they will notice. You can't help but notice. It's like John Wooden- when you are pursuing something greater than this world, you will inspire greatness in other people. When we understand who God is and seek to gain wisdom about His plan for us in this temporary place, we will be blessed. That's a promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment