6.14.2010

John Wooden

There has been SO much going on these last few weeks that I don't even know where to start... I figured once I get pictures uploaded I will tell you about our fun adventures. So I figured I'd start with something God has shown me recently :) So the day before John Wooden passed away, Dan and I were watching the World Series for softball (Beth got us hooked when she visited :) and scrolling across the bottom of the screen were some details about John Wooden and how he was hospitalized and not doing well. As most people know, he passed away (2) Saturdays ago and it seemed like he was ALL over ESPN. Being the girl that I am, I asked Dan who he was and why he was everywhere! Dan filled me in on all of his major accomplishments at UCLA and what not, but what intrigued me the most was his character. I watched a couple interviews with him and was just in awe about how openly he talked about his faith, his "non" fear of death, and shared his poetry with these ESPN anchors. The next day I went on line, still thinking about him, to look up what he was all about, and was floored at all the articles about him. Here were some quotes I found:
"We see how his legend affected so many people. How he didn't just coach, he taught. He didn't yell or curse, he inspired."
"We will remember his selfless gifts, lesson, time, vision, faith, and patience."
"This was the passing of an incredible coach but an even better man."
"He cared more about his players success as a person- not player."
"Lived a life filled with integrity, faith, and humility."
"Known for his love for God, wife, leadership... he was humble and genuine."
"For those few minutes interviewing him, my day slowed down and I knew I was in the presence of greatness."
"He talked about faith. He said he wanted God to say 'Well done.'"
I seriously was floored by the legacy he left. Who wouldn't want to be remembered by all of that? What amazed me even more was that there were so many people who met him only once for a half an hour, and they said that half an hour changed their life. Why were people drawn to him? God. He lived a supernatural life- that is why so many people were changed in his presence. He didn't trust in this world for happiness (having lost his wife in '85, he knew this world would not satisfy)- he wasn't content with this world, he was content in his faith and with God.
John said " Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely who others think you are."
Lastly, I found this poem that he wrote, and thought it showed his true character.
"The years have left an imprint on my hands and on my face.
Erect no longer is my walk and slower is my pace.
But there is no fear within my heart because I'm growing old.
I only wish I had more time to better serve my Lord.
But I've gone to human prayer, he has brought me inner peace.
And soon my cares and problems and other worries cease.
He's helped me in so many ways and never let me down,
why should I fear the future when soon I could be near his crown?
Though I know down here my time is short, there's endless time up there,
That He will forgive and Keep me in His ever loving care."
What a great inspiration. I only hope to leave a legacy as great as his.

2 comments:

  1. stefie- I have a really special Focus on the Family interview with John Wooden that I'll bring by for you and Dano next time I see you guys!! megsxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg- I would seriously LOVE that! thanks for thinking of us :) And seriously, I am super encouraged by your blog posts, thanks for sharing your words of wisdom with us!

    ReplyDelete