9.18.2013

Making room for interruptions

I am always, always encouraged when the ladies on this blog post well.. really.. anything.  A couple weeks ago they shared a quote that resonated all too well with me:

“The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one’s ‘own,’ or ‘real’ life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one’s real life—the life God is sending one day by day; what one calls one’s ‘real life’ is a phantom of one’s own imagination. This at least is what I see at moments of insight: but it’s hard to remember it all the time.”

DSC_8135

Honestly, I had many interruptions when I worked in event planning full time.  I truly believe that what makes a good event planner is being able to handle interruptions and not let it ruin your whole event.  But with Jake... the "interruptions" can seem endless.  He wakes up early from a nap. Or more recently.. he simply doesn't go down for a nap.  He gets sick when mom is invited to a much needed play date.  He wants held right when I start cutting up the raw chicken to cook for dinner.

DSC_8133

And God is slowly showing me that it is wise to hold my plans loosely.  The scheduler/ planner in me desperately wants my day to go exactly as I envisioned it in the morning when I sat down in front of my day calendar.  But what I forget is sometimes the day I planned out for myself isn't the best plan for my day.  Sometimes I'm supposed to pick up that phone call from a friend when I technically planned to be cleaning the bathroom. Sometimes I'm supposed to sit outside on the porch and let Jake rearrange the pumpkins from our table to our porch swing for 15..20... 25 minutes.  

DSC_8129

DSC_8104
DSC_8103
DSC_8102

Every day God uses Jake to show me that He has a better plan.  He wants me to slow down and listen to Him.  Sometimes I get everything done on my to do list.  But many times I don't.  And I am "working" on  realizing that that is not necessarily a bad thing.  More often then not, I've realized it is a good thing when an interruption comes up. And I'm grateful God uses this little man to teach me these valuable lessons :)

DSC_8151
DSC_8153
DSC_8148

1 comments:

  1. This is such an important message for us moms to hear and take to heart! I'll try to keep this is mind next time I find myself standing in our yard staring at the tree trunk covered in ladybugs for what feels like the 37,625th hour of my life ;)

    ReplyDelete