8.19.2013

That day we went to the PGA golf tournament

I mentioned last time how I would update you on a pretty entertaining story... so here it goes.

If you have never been to a golf tournament in person, you may not fully appreciate the extent of what happened to me.  However, I think that simply watching a golf tournament on TV would suffice for you to get the idea that when someone is golfing... you are quiet.  Like super quiet.  For instance- I was at one hole and one of the "security people" on the golf course asked a golf cart that was about 20 yards away driving by to stop driving because it was making too much noise.  So when I say quiet I mean dead silence.

Next scene.  Dan is at the "taste of NY" booth working for Kraft.  I decide to take a little stroll with Jake and we end up at one hole where the golfers are on the putting green.  Thinking this could be a fun "mother - son" moment, I take Jake out of the stroller and tell him we are going to watch the golfers.  We are pointing at them and having fun.  Everything is great.  Until, I realize it is taking longer than anticipated for the golfers to putt (apparently they need to analyze the green or something before every shot) so we start walking a little bit away from the hole.  No big deal, Jake is having fun and people are smiling at the cute boy walking in the grass. 

Then, I realize we are getting kind of far away from our stroller.  Since I had things like phones, wallets, ipad, etc. in my purse in the stroller.. I start to "gently encourage" Jake to walk in the other direction.  I should have known better.  I really don't know what I was thinking.  When Jake is walking he is in his own little world and wants to go where he wants to go, so if mom gets in the way of that, he gets unhappy.  Very unhappy.  So Jake loses it.  Falls on the grass and starts screaming.  I kid you not, approximately 1,000 people turn to stare at us, seeing as it is DEAD QUIET because people are 20 feet away golfing.  I even try to put my hand over his mouth to muffle the screaming but as you can imagine, that just made him more angry.  So I run to grab the stroller and start jogging away- meanwhile hearing people mutter "Why would you bring a kid to a golf tournament?"

Mortifying can barely describe how I felt.  Since I only passed one other mom with a stroller at the tournament, I felt like every person was staring at me the rest of the time because they knew I was "that" mom with the kid that started screaming when golfers were putting.  I know I'm totally exaggerating.. but then again am I? 

So that's it.  One of the top most embarrassing moments of my life.  Never again will I take a child under the age of 5 to a golf tournament.  Even then I will question a 5 year old because this experience has scarred me for life.  I definitely am not blaming Jake at all.  He's a baby and doesn't know you're supposed to be quiet at a golf tournament... so I take on full responsibility for his behavior.  Being a mother is so incredibly humbling sometimes. 

DSC_7481
DSC_7495
DSC_7469
  

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have a good attitude about it! Lesson learned, now you can just look back and laugh about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that! We definitely learned our lesson however it makes a good memory :) Thankful Tiger Woods wasn't putting or anything lol

      Delete