2.15.2013

Building Cathedrals

A while back I wrote about how I felt comfort in the fact that God was a God of details He takes notice of the small things.  He sees everything. 

DSC_4110

Then, the following week at my Shepherding a Child's Heart study, one of our leaders read this excerpt from a book called "The Invisible Mother."  Needless to say, it was such an encouragement to hear.  Being a mom, I have a new appreciation for my mom (and dad).  There were so many things my mom did that went unnoticed- cooking dinner, grocery shopping, cutting coupons, watching the budget, driving us to doctor's appointments... scheduling our doctors appointments, doing our laundry, etc etc. And she did it sacrificially, every week, without my brothers or I taking notice or thanking her for that matter!  It's one of those things you don't think about.  I didn't think about the phone call that my mom made to schedule that doctor's appointment.  Or the planning it took to make the grocery list.. I just remember complaining while I was at the grocery store because I was bored (I'm sure I was SUCH a joy to have around as a kid :)

DSC_4076

In the expert I posted above Nicole says:

No act of kindness you’ve done, no sequin you’ve sewn on, no cupcake you’ve baked, no hockey/soccer/piano/Scout/school meeting, no last minute errand is too small for me to notice and smile over. You are building a great cathedral, but you can’t see right now what it will become.

I keep the right perspective when I see myself as a great builder. As one of the people who show up at a job that they will never see finished, to work on something that their name will never be on. The writer of the book went so far as to say that no cathedrals could ever be built in our lifetime because there are so few people willing to sacrifice to that degree.

DSC_4070

I love that perspective as a mom.  We are building great cathedrals.  I know it's easy for moms to talk about the hard, repetitive parts of their job, and I don't want to always draw attention to those times in my life. However, what God's been teaching me is the importance of my job. As a mom I find it easy to fall into the trap of thinking that what I'm doing isn't important, but it is so so important.  Amidst the daily tasks I tend to forget that.  So I need to refocus and see the big picture from time to time.  And I'm thankful for godly women who point me back to that ultimate purpose.

DSC_4068

So thankful for this little man and how God's using him to teach me SO much!

DSC_4062

0 comments:

Post a Comment