11.12.2010

Real Simple

For a while now I have had this "editor's note" from Real Simple ripped out and stuck in my pink organizer and have been really wanting to share it with you!  I rarely read the editor's notes in any magazine, but for some reason the word "to do list" caught my eye in this past November's issue.  The editor, Kristin, discusses how around the holidays our to-do list gets bigger and bigger and we find ourselves creating more and more lists because it keeps us organized and makes us feel in control, which isn't at all what life is all about, but it can feel like it holds much greater meaning this time of year!

She makes the recommendation of adding to our to do list something to help someone rather than something we do (buy this, clean that)- yet while she says to do it so someone will thank you, I couldn't help but think how God in His Word has set a much bigger standard- to do something for others without expecting a "thank you," and He calls us to do it not just around the holidays but every day. This may seem difficult, but it shouldn't be, because He has given me SO much already- unconditional love, grace, eternal salvation, acceptance no matter what, a relationship with Him, and so much more. 

If you've read any part of this blog before you would know that I am a list person.  I love to be organized because then I feel like my life is in control (pretty superficial right?).  Needless to say, I have embraced the fact that the Lord has given me this strength for a reason and He can use it to bring Him glory.  At work we just went over our Strengths Finder again and in my top 5 is Discipline which means I like to make lists, keep things organized, and I have a particular way of doing things.  While I know people can take this to the extreme- I try not to because very easily my life can be about lists.  But, what the Lord has shown me is that I can still make lists and organize my life but I need to make sure I remember that my Master is not my list, it's God.  I have a tendency to get so caught up in my list that I don't leave time for God to move unexpectedly in my life and perhaps even add something to my list that wasn't originally there (gasp!).

So, my prayer for myself (and you too if you can relate :)  is that my lists this holiday wouldn't be all about myself and what I need to get done, but filled with things I can do for other people and ways I can serve and glorify God.

Have a great Friday!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment