9.29.2010

Country Livin'

It is SUCH a treat for us when we visit with Cynthia and Nate in Liberty, Indiana.  There is something that makes me smile as I'm driving 55 (70 really lol) through the country roads and the speed limit immediately drops to 25 because I'm approaching a "town."  I love all the corn fields.  I love the cute accents.  I love how Cynthia and Nate seriously know everyone everywhere we go.  I just love how it is SO not Chicago.  When we arrive at their home it's always at like 1 in the morning because we fight our way through Chicago rush hour traffic on Friday.  If there is anyone that has the gift of hospitality it is seriously Cynthia Stevens!  When we arrived there was a pumpkin filled with candy, chips, and caramels with an apple spiced candle waiting for us on our bed.  As always, she leaves us a sweet note telling us about the plans for the weekend and how excited she is for us to be there.  And, there is always drinks in the mini fridge in our room.  Man, talk about feeling at home!! 

There is just something so peaceful about where they live.  Even though Cynthia has grown up there her whole life and sometimes wishes to get out, I just love being there.  We went to an Octoberfest in Richmond, Indiana, and walked around looking at all the candles, food, and crafts.  Then we went to this new winery which was so great!  We had electra- it was frozen wine!  I didn't even know that wine could freeze- but they made it happen somehow.  Then we went back to her parents house and got to meet everyone from her mom's side of the family.  We ate amazing food- fried chicken, fried wings, potato salad, frosted cookie sandwiches, apple crisp with ice cream, apple cider, - and there were seriously at least 15 other dishes I didn't eat because I was too full.  We had a spoons tournament.  (I love spoons lol) And then we went on a hay ride through the cornfield.  Does it get any better than that?

Also, we got to experience Nate in action.  Nate is a firefighter in Liberty and he wears this pager so anytime there is an emergency he gets called.  Well, after our eventful Saturday, we're exhausted and sitting in their basement and this loud pitched noise floods the room.  Before I knew what was happening, Nate had sprinted upstairs and was out the door!  At that point Cynthia turned on her scanner so she could hear what was happening.  I seriously have so much respect for her!  I was SO nervous for Nate!  It turned out that someone at a campsite punctured their leg on a nail and the blood was squirting out so bad they couldn't stop the bleeding!  ewww! But, they turned out to be ok.  Anyway, they have some pretty interesting stories because he is on the "in" on all the emergencies that happen in their town!

View from their house :)

Me and Cynthia at the Octoberfest!

Daniel and I :)

Elle :)  Home for 2 years at Miami
The new addition to our street!  Elle is on our left, the stop sign is where there was a fence then beyond that a huge field!
We love our visits out there :) They're wonderful and we wished we lived closer to them.  Oh, and we went to OBF to church on Sunday (a church on Miami's campus) and we got to drive around and see our old dorms/ houses and hang out uptown.  It was sssuuuch a treat!  We haven't been back in about 2 years and a LOT of things have changed.  They actually added onto my street that I lived on my Jr and Sr year.  There used to be a fence and a large field and they added a whole street and houses!  I couldn't believe it!  (I posted pictures above!) Miami holds such a precious spot in our hearts :)  We loved our time there and was blessed by so many wonderful friends!  It was great to go back!

0 comments:

Post a Comment