9.20.2010

10.10.2010- The Journey continues



I decided that this update needed a whole separate post because this Saturday rocked my world.  20 miles.  I was the girl who dreeeaaaded the mile in middle school, and I just ran 20 miles this past weekend!?!!  AND, it took us a little under 4 hours.  I can't even tell you the things we could have done in 4 hours.  It takes me 16 miles to get to work.  I could have ran to work and then some.


So miles 1-10.  Not too bad.  We ran with Becca and she is great at bringing up conversation and very entertaining so really that helped a TON.  We were able to stop and go to the bathroom, refill our water bottles, and turn around.


Miles 10-14.  Still not awful.  Starting to feel pain in my legs and can tell I'm getting tired, but not at the point of stopping.


Mile 14.  Thunder. Lightning. Pouring down rain.  It rained on us last weekend during our 14 mile run, but this was a whole other experience.  I was actually scared that we would get struck.  You may laugh, but it was seriously terrifying!  I was soaked, cold, and so ready to be done running.


Mile 16.  The pain is kicking in.  I ask Dan and Becca how they are doing.  They say tired.  I begin to wonder if the "pain"I think I am feeling is just tiredness or if I'm actually experiencing something different than them because they seem to be holding up MUCH better than I am.


Mile 17. 18. 19. 20.  I almost cried a couple times, no joke.  I was just telling myself to make it to the next mile.


Back at the car.  I start to worry about the full 26.2.  I still have 3 weeks, but I can't even express to you how my legs felt.  I thought after finishing the full 20 miles I would feel more confident but at this point I am just more nervous than anything.  I only pray to finish.  And what seemed to be an easy "under 5 hour finish" seems to be a little bit more challenging.  I could barely stretch, and let's just say on my run today I was in extreme pain.  I hope these three weeks of tapering helps prep me for the big day.  Ready or not, it'll be here before I know it!!  I actually paid to do this. Ha.

1 comments:

  1. haha! this sounds just like my 20 mile experience! rain and all!! i think that mile 19-20 was the most dramatic mile i have ever run. don't worry though, i thought that the 20 mile run was WAY harder than the marathon itself. for sure. you are on your way girl!

    ReplyDelete