7.16.2010

Home

Last weekend we ended up taking an unexpected trip home. Our plans to stay in Indy then drive to Columbus for a wedding fell through, so we drove all the way to Cleveland and stayed home for the weekend and made the trip to Columbus in the process. While it was quick and busy I really enjoyed it. And, I realized I'm finally getting to the point where I am nostalgic when I go home.

As we headed down Edgeview Drive toward my house I remembered all the memories from the people who lived there, our sledding adventures, shoveling the driveway, raking leaves, and riding our bikes. When we got inside I remembered the place we all used to throw our backpacks when we got home from school (and then got yelled at 3 hours later to pick them up lol). I walked into my room and tried to remember what it looked like. So much of my furniture is moved around- all that is left from my original room is my bed. It's weird because it is super clean- you can still see the vacuum marks from the last time my mom swept- which was probably weeks ago because nobody goes in it anymore. It's kind of a ritual (with myself haha) when I go home to try on my wedding dress- since it just sits in my closet. I'm only home usually once every 6 months, if that. I usually drag it out of my closet and throw it on my bed. It's super heavy, but I always manage to put it on, then I come bounding down the stairs to show Dan that it still fits. He just laughs at me and shakes his head. He thinks I'm crazy sometimes but its ok :)

I think my nostalgia increased when I saw on our coffee table a book that my brothers made for my mom on Mother's day. It's funny because I came downstairs and Dan was looking at it and I asked him how the book was. All he said was "well, there are a lot of pictures of you in it." I knew that couldn't be good, and after looking through it couldn't help but crack up at (some of) the awful pictures that my brothers put in there of me. In their defense they put some pictures from our wedding day, too. But, the book made me think about when our house used to be filled with high school friends raiding our fridge for pop and my mom's leftover mashed potatoes. It's crazy how many memories a house can have! I guess now I know why Dan will be sad when he has to trade his jeep in for a new car soon :(

While it's easy for me to get caught up in all these memories when I get home, I'm excited for where God has Dan and I. While Chicago is only beginning to have that "home" feeling, Hudson will always hold a special place in my heart. In the meantime, I can look back and thank God for all He has taught me and where He has brought me. "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant place; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance." Psalm 16:5,6 On a whole other note, like I said this weekend we went to a wedding. And again, it was a great time of reminiscing about another time in our life: college. It was fun to sit at a table talking with couples who lived in Morris Hall and go to OBF. We are so blessed.

Here are some pictures:

0 comments:

Post a Comment