3.24.2013

Thankful

Alas it has been almost 2 weeks and I still don't have my computer back :(  My hope is that they can save everything on it at this point.. we have a LOT of pictures on there.  Oh well.  Hopefully next week then I can share some of the pictures we've taken in the past couple months!

This weekend has been pretty chill- I had my last event of the 2012 -2013 school year last week which is why you didn't hear from me :)  And Jake battled his first fever on Thursday and Friday which was sad- especially since I had to be at work.  However, he definitely couldn't have been in better hands with my mom being here!  Thankfully it's gone now and he's back to his normal self.  Dan and I have both been feeling a little under the weather recently.  Not sure if we picked up something from Jake or what but there has been a lot of sleeping going on here :)

A while back I talked about how I finished the book One Thousand Gifts and I wanted to share with you a brief summary of my thoughts on it.  Since the new year I wanted to focus on thankfulness and have been doing just that for the past (almost 4 months).  It really has changed my perspective on how I view God and the many ways he does bless me throughout the day.  I thought I was a pretty thankful person in general but this book convicted me that I could improve in this area in many more ways!  Ann (the author) is VERY descriptive and at times that is great and at times I found myself skimming over a those details.  Other than that, what the Lord has taught her in regards to thankfulness was really enlightening to me.  Here are some main points/ quotes that I took away from the book:

  • The fall (of man) was related to ingratitude.  Humanity was discontent with all that God had freely given them and wanted more. 
  • Being thankful allows you to live a full life (reference to Luke 17:17 and the leper that returns to thank Jesus)
  • Quote by Julian of Norwich:"For of all the things that our minds can think about God, it is thinking upon his goodness that pleases him most and brings the most profit to our soul."
  • Giving thanks slows down time.  When we're busy and rushed throughout our day we miss seeing the blessings God has given us.  
  • We wage war with Satan for joy every day.  He tries to keep our eyes off God's goodness.
  • "The hard discipline is leaning into the ugly and whispering thanks to transfigure it into beauty."
  • Quote by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain: "Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Though Thyself, Creator of all!"
  • "I pay tribute to God by paying attention to Him."
  • "Giving thanks creates an appetite for seeking more of God and giving him glory."
  • "We don't have to change what we see, only the way we see it."
  • The more you count your blessings, the more you see God's goodness toward you and the more you trust in Him.
  • "Thanksgiving shapes a theology of trust."
  • "It's only when our lives are emptied that we're surprised by how full our life was."
  • Pride slays thanksgiving.  A proud man is seldom a grateful man- for he never gets what he deserves.
  • Being thankful opens our eyes to how much God loves us.  

I'll share some verses I found on Thanksgiving that I really like later this week :) Happy weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment