3.16.2010

Trinity

So Dan and I moved up to Chicago after we graduated and got married because of his job with Kraft Foods. Although we requested Georgia (where Dan did his internship the summer before his senior year) mainly because of the warm weather and Andy Stanley's church, we ended up in Chicago. (which we're definitely thankful for now- even though at the time we weren't thrilled!) Once we got up here, I started the wonderful job search, and heard about Trinity International University through Mark Brown, our campus director for Crusade, because he was working on his Masters of Divinity here. After awkwardly applying to the college instead of the Undergraduate Admissions job posting, I got the job and started working! I honestly can't imagine having a better first job!
One of the perks of working for a University is that you can take classes for free- and we had NO idea we could do that! It was really great when we found that out, because before Dan took the job with Kraft, we made an important decision to hold off on going into ministry of any sort (whether at a church or raising support for an organization like Crusade) because we had a good chunk of undergraduate debt left to pay off (even though we both felt a calling into full time ministry). So, for the past year and a half Dan and I have been verrrrry slowly working through the seminary here at Trinity. We have both learned a ton and I am sure we will talk about that later on, but currently we are both in a counseling class. Although Dan was skeptical at first because he found out that people potentially cry during our practice counseling sessions, I have really enjoyed the class and am pretty sure I am going to change my Masters from Christian Studies to Counseling Ministries. Not only did this class show me the importance of counseling as a profession and the practicality of counseling skills in every day life, but the book "Peacemaking Women" by Tara Klena and Judy Dabler showed me the importance of Biblical thinking and how to embrace the principles in the Gospel every day. Now, my Monday night study is going through a video series led by Tara and I am super excited to learn more from her! I'll keep you updated on what I'm learning through that series and the book :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Stef! I am so excited to do this study with you :) Looking forward to hearing (and reading!) more of your thoughts. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am really glad you are in Chicago and not Georgia :)

    ReplyDelete